Wednesday, February 24, 2010

#76 Hitchhiker

"Thank you for stopping to pick me up" he said as the man with dirty overalls leaned over to open the door for him to get into.
"You have no idea how many people have passed by me", he whinnied as he through his duffel bag over the backseat, and climbed on into the cab of the big rig truck. The truck was very long in length and had a dusty haze to the huge chrome tires that held it up.
"No problem, where ya headed?" the man said. His long gray hair pulled back with a rubber band hung down the side of his plaid old fashioned buttoned down shirt. The murky stain from years of washing it had faded the colors a bit, and his blue jeans seems to have more holes than material. With a sharp smile the nice man pointed to a small crate in the back of the cab, and offered the new stranger some of his food and water.
"Thank you again, I'm headed up North. I've got to get home to my sick mother. She's been sick for a couple months now, and the doctor's are expecting the worst." He explained as he held back a tear. "Funny how you can live your whole life not afraid of anything until you get that call that telling you your loved one's wont be with you much longer. Then no matter where you are" he said with a laugh. "You have got to get home, and be with them their last few moments of life. Noting is more special than the memories you carry for a lifetime"
The stopped and stared at the young man. "I'm very sorry to hear that son. I would be happy to get you where you need to go. I agree with you. My mother and father have passed away myself." He whispered. "I will always remember and cherish the good times with them. Best of luck to you, and god's speed in getting there in time Son!"

2 comments: